Scottsdale Trustee Accountings Lawyer

Detailed Advice on Requesting or Submitting a Complete Trustee Accounting

Following the creation of a trust, the administrator, or trustee, of the trust holds responsibility for many tasks, most notably the distribution or investment of the funds and assets held in the trust as directed by the trustor. In addition to distributing assets, the administrator is responsible for filing a detailed accounting of the trust whenever requested by the trustor, beneficiaries or the court. In cases involving a trustee who is not an attorney or accountant, understanding the proper procedure for filing a trustee accounting can be difficult.

At Gorman & Jones, PLC, our Phoenix trustee accountings lawyers offer detailed advice on the proper accounting methods and the process involved in requesting an accounting or completing the necessary accounting. We work closely with trustors, trustees and beneficiaries alike, and have the skills and knowledge needed to address each of your specific trustee accounting concerns.

Completing a Trustee Accounting

As a trustee, you will be required to complete detailed and comprehensive records of the trust, including all expenses, distributions and the status of the account. A full accounting will include:

  • A statement of all receipts and distribution of income
  • A status of the principal of the estate
  • Receipts demonstrating payments for compensation of the trustee and any agents
  • Documentation of the relationship of these agents to the trustee

Requesting a Trustee Accounting

As a beneficiary or trustor, you have the right to request a trustee accounting at any time, unless the terms of the trust itself prohibit it. In some cases, including those in which it is difficult to understand who you must request the accounting from, the trustee refuses to provide the information or the trustee provides incomplete information, it may be necessary to file a formal petition with the court. In extreme situations, the trustee may be removed for failing to comply with proper trustee accounting requirements.

Our attorneys offer detailed advice on the proper steps for filing a petition, as well as information on your rights or options to remove the trustee if they refuse or fail to provide the required accounting documents.

Contact us online or call 623-974-5585 to discuss your specific trustee accounting concerns with one of our experienced lawyers.

Request a free consultation

Fill out the form below to receive a free initial consultation.


Submitting your information to us through this website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Information submitted through this web form is not confidential, not subject to attorney-client privilege, and will not preclude this law firm from representing a different client in the same legal matter. We do not represent you until you meet with us and sign a fee agreement.
Please do not send us any confidential information about your case until we meet.